Our calendar’s are down to one page – December. The greatest month of the year. Christmas. New Year. Happiness. As I was driving to work yesterday, the Christmas song “War is Over” by John Lennon came on the radio. Although it’s one I know quite well, a line in the song struck me differently.
“So this is Christmas. And what have you done?”
Yes, I’ve done some volunteering and donating this year, but there are always ways to give back to others, whether it be monetarily or by just doing something nice for a stranger. Here’s a list of 25 random acts of kindness. Consider picking one of them off the list – or adding one of your own, especially at this time of year. And if you’re feeling weary about it, remember, good karma will come your way!
- Buy coffee for the person in line behind you.
- Plant a tree.
- Leave coupons at a store register for the next person in line to use.
- Pick up trash in a public place (e.g. park, beach)
- Call a family member or friend you don’t talk to often just to catch up.
- Adopt an animal from a shelter.
- Collect soda tabs and donate the money collected to a charity.
- Tape a dollar bill to a vending machine to treat the next customer.
- Help a neighbor put up outdoor Christmas decorations.
- Compliment a stranger.
- Offer to babysit for a night or couple hours for free.
- Spend some time with residents at a retirement community.
- Send a care package to the troops overseas.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
- Tip your waiter/waitress a little extra.
- Leave a magazine/newspaper in the seat pocket on the bus/plane/train.
- Bring flowers to someone at the hospital who hasn’t received any visitors.
- Give a lottery ticket to a stranger.
- Hold the door open for the person coming in behind you.
- Coordinate a fundraising event for a person or group who needs it.
- Send someone a handwritten thank you note.
- Help someone carry their groceries or the trash out.
- Put a quarter in an expired parking meter.
- Give up the parking spot you were going to take to someone else.
- Donate old books to the library.