Happy 2014! It’s hard to believe another year has come and gone, but I’m ready for the clean slate/fresh start to this year ahead. And it’s going to be a great one! Although I haven’t done New Years Resolutions in a few years since I don’t have the best track record on following through with them, I’m putting a little twist on them and starting up again this year, combining resolutions with a bucket list of the things I plan to accomplish in 2014.
|Photo credit: someecards|
- Pay it forward – You hear about Random Acts of Kindness Day, where everyone does something nice for one day and then it’s all forgotten about. I want to make it a point to do something nice at least once a month (e.g. pay for the person in line behind me’s coffee). I’d do it more often but unfortunately that requires a bigger pool of money to pull from.
- Lose weight – I’m not going to set a specific weight loss goal for myself, but I definitely want to lose more than a few pounds.
- Take a trip to London – This has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember. 2014 is the year for it!
- Donate to charities more often – I usually donate 2-3 times a year to my standard charities (March of Dimes, American Cancer Society, Metropolitan Ministries). I’ll definitely continue to support those but in addition, plan to donate to whatever our Cause of the Month is (typically posted the first week of each month).
- Read more books – It’s not that I don’t like to read. It’s that at the end of the day, all I want to do is vege out. And the TV usually wins the battle because there’s nothing I have to do, other than sit back and stare at the big screen.
- Walk 10,000 steps a day – I usually get fairly close to this number (7-8k) but I want to push myself more. Anyone care to join me in this challenge?
- Learn new recipes – I tend to eat the same boring/easy dishes all of the time but now that I’m armed with cookbooks and a new blender and (6 month old) crockpot, I’m ready to make some fancier dishes!
- Save money – This can be tricky with so many expenses each month, but I’m going to figure out a budget and send a certain percentage of each paycheck directly to my savings account.
- Learn a new language – I’m not saying I’m going to be fluent in a new language by the end of the year, but I definitely want to be able to make basic conversation or at least know basic words/phrases. I’m thinking German or French. Stay tuned.
- Participate in a 5K– I’ve been eyeing up the Run Disney events for some time now and as I’m marking 2014 as my year to get fit, I’m planning to sign up for at least one this year. Anyone care to join me?
What are your Resolutions for 2014?