App of the Month: Duolingo

My latest app obsession is one that’s both education and entertaining. I took about 6 years of Spanish, spanning from 8th grade to freshman year of college, and always found it to be one of my favorite subjects. Lately, I’ve been trying to teach myself German via Duolingo, an app that helps you learn various languages, for free!

If you’re wanting to learn multiple languages, or brush up on ones you already know, you’re able to open more than one “course,” and practice at your own pace.

For example, to do maintenance on my espanol, I opened up a Spanish course and selected to “test out” of categories by taking a quick quiz to determine what my level was. While I’m no expert, it was great to know I still held a good chunk of the things I learned over those 6 years.

Duolingo offers several lessons within a group, focusing on one type of topic at a time (e.g. phrases, food, animals). This is super helpful, so you’re not overwhelmed right out of the gate.

In addition to learning the phrases/words, you can listen to a translation to help you with pronunciation, one that I’ve found to be especially entertaining, because for some reason I keep wanting to say German things with a Spanish accent! Awkward!

As of today, there are 13 (free!) language courses available for native English speakers, and new ones are always being added! It’s interesting to see how many other people are learning to language too. If English isn’t your native language, there are options for several other languages as well!

Have you learned any other languages? Which one(s) would you like to pick up?

• August 28, 2015 / 9:43 AM

It can definitely be easily to slack off with it. I turned on push notifications so I’d get reminders to do a little every day. You should try that if you want to get back on track with it!

• August 28, 2015 / 11:39 AM

Oh thats a good idea. I need to turn on those push notifications asap. That will be a nice gentle reminder to take a few minutes to do some exercises

• August 28, 2015 / 9:44 AM

I don’t think they offer Russian yet, but you should definitely request it! They’re always working on adding new ones, that’d be a great addition!

1. August 26, 2015 / 1:33 PM

It looks fun! I should try it out.

• August 28, 2015 / 9:48 AM

Definitely! Which language do you think you’d want to learn first?

• August 28, 2015 / 10:17 AM

Italian, I think. I took Latin in high school so it’s not too far a stretch.

2. August 26, 2015 / 2:33 PM

Love this app! I got really into it for a couple weeks but then slacked. I need to get back into it!

• August 28, 2015 / 9:40 AM

I’ve definitely done that too. You can set up push notifications to remind you to practice if you want to keep on track! Which language(s) were you learning?

3. August 26, 2015 / 3:16 PM

I love this app too! I’ve been working shining up my Spanish. I took it in high school years ago, but now it’s more than a little rusty. This app has been so helpful!

• August 28, 2015 / 9:47 AM

Great idea! It’s definitely important to do maintenance on the languages you learn! Are you thinking of learning any others?

• August 28, 2015 / 10:04 AM

I’d love to learn German, but my in-laws speak almost only Spanish. So I feel a lot of pressure to improve that one quickly!

4. August 26, 2015 / 5:06 PM

OMG!! This app looks amazing. iTunes has some free course as well but it’s more like for the university. This looks way more fun. I’m going to check it out. Thank you. :D

• August 28, 2015 / 9:39 AM

This is definitely the most fun language learning app I’ve found! I hope you like it!

5. August 26, 2015 / 7:45 PM

Duolingo is pretty cool–I wish they had a Mandarin app, as that’s my language of choice. I should practice my Spanish more but I usually don’t, ha!

• August 28, 2015 / 9:39 AM

I’m sure that’s one they’re working on adding, hopefully soon! In the meantime, you should try learning another one!