Happy New Year! While I admit I’m still in a bit of a holidaze (daze from the holidays), and am 100% feeling the struggle to get back into my normal morning routine, I’m excited for the excitement a new year brings.
Sure, it’s technically just “another day” if you’re looking at it linearly, but there’s something about flipping the calendar to page one and the feeling of new beginnings + a fresh start when January 1 rolls around. Plus, the end of the year tends to get a little crazy once Thanksgiving hits, so January seems to be the time to get back on track with all the things.
Last year I wrote several posts highlighting my goals at the start of every month. While I’ll likely be setting these smaller goals month by month again, I just wanted to share an overview of them once on Small Towns & City Lights, so I can focus on even more awesome content for you to read throughout the year.
Personal Goals for 2017
- Declutter + maintain: Lately I’ve been feeling super cluttered with things piling up all over the place, mostly due to my crazy busy schedule in 2016. I’m ready to donate and toss lots of things this year, and am excited to read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, which I’m hopeful will help even more!
- Travel to 5 new states/countries: Travel is a huge focus for me. While I do have a couple trips already in the works this year (NYC and London), I want to cross some new places off my list as well, with a combo of new states and countries.
- Read more: In 2016 I read much more than I have in years, but I still have SO many books sitting on my shelf that I’ve been wanting to read. My plan is to cut out some TV/computer time before bed and do some reading before bedtime.
- Meal plan: I did this a little last year, but want to get better about it. Eating out is a huge downfall for me (on both my health and wallet), so I’m hoping that by meal planning I’ll be healthier and will save a lot!
Blog Goals for 2017
- Create a newsletter: I’ve been wanting to do this for ages! It’s definitely going to happen this year.
- Refine + balance my main categories: I’ve been working on refining my site’s primary categories to ensure a solid foundation of STCL’s direction for 2017 and beyond. So excited about all of the content I have planned to share with you this year!
- Collaborate with more brands: 2016 was my biggest year of collaboration but I have big plans for 2017 when it comes to collaborating with brands. I love sharing my favorite things with you all!
- Grow my following: A no-brainer, but still, a solid goal of mine. While I want to increase page views and blog/social media followers, I also want to boost engagement even more. I love hearing from my readers/followers!
My Word of the Year
I haven’t chosen a “word of the year” before, but this year I’m feeling inspired to. For me, this year is all about being unstoppable. We have the habit of finding excuses for why we can’t do something now, or hold off because we’re afraid of rejection. But this year, I’m not going to let anything hold me back. If there’s something I set my sights on, I’m going to go for it! I stumbled across this quote and love it – it really sums things up nicely.
Did you pick a word for the year? I’d love to hear it!
Also, get ready! TONS of travel posts from my trip to Scandinavia are coming, starting later this week!