I had a lot of fun writing today’s post because it’s a bit of a walk down memory lane (OH HEY 90s!) and also pretty comical thinking about how different things are for kids today vs. when I was growing up. Basically all of the things Gen Z will never know the struggle of! If you’re not familiar with Gen Z, they’re the young’ens of today (born between 1995 and 2014).
My sisters are actually Gen Z-ers and this post was inspired by me talking about things from “when IIIIIIIIIII was a kid” (when did I get so old?!) and them being totally blown away by the fact that all of the things they have today not existing years ago. I’m talking iPhones, Netflix, basically everything!
- Having to wait to bring your disposable camera into the store to get your photos developed.
- Going to Blockbuster to rent movies or TV shows to watch one at a time.
- Life without a cell phone.
- Having to record things on a cassette tape or VHS to be able to access them again. And then waiting for them to rewind to play again.
- Calling your crush (or vice versa) and having their/your parents pick up on the landline.
- Having to choose between using the computer or the phone – forget about using them at the same time (#dialup)!
- Finding out what’s on TV from the physical TV guide magazine or watching the scrolling channel with the list of programming on every channel.
- Coming up with clever/cheesy status’ for your AIM away messages.
- Passing notes in class to tell someone something.
- Crazy fees for long distance calls (out of city/state) or going over on text messages/cell phone talk minutes.
The list of things could seriously go on forever! I don’t even want to think about how crazy it’ll be for generations to follow!
What else would you add to the list?